Posts Tagged ‘poison’

Pet Poisoning Prevention

August 27, 2013

Poisoning cases are some of the most common reasons for visits to veterinary emergency clinics. Nearly every day, we field a call or see a patient that has eaten something they shouldn’t and must then receive life-saving treatment.Pet Poisons

It’s even worse when you realize that most of these incidents are completely preventable. It doesn’t have to be like this. Most of the time owners don’t even realize that their homes contain so many toxic items. Some of the most toxic items include:

Household cleaners, bleach, Lysol and other corrosives… why? 

Because household cleaners can cause very serious “chemical burns”.  Most often, these chemicals are ingested or licked, causing a caustic or corrosive burn usually affecting the tongue and esophagus. 

Aspirin…why?

Aspirin interferes with platelets, which are responsible for helping the blood to clot.  Aspirin toxicity can lead to gastrointestinal problems, respiratory difficulties, neurological problems, bleeding disorders and kidney failure.

Antifreeze…why?

Ethylene glycol (antifreeze) is extremely toxic for pets and has potentially lethal effects…even a small dose can be lethal within a few hours of ingestion.  

Amphetamines…why?

If left untreated, amphetamine toxicity can be fatal in your pet.  These classification of drugs affect your pet’s nervous system and brain.  Toxic signs are typically visible within 1-2 hours.

While this list is not exhaustive, it does cover some of the more common substances that are particularly harmful to your pet.  If you are ever in doubt about your pet’s exposure to these and other potentially harmful products, don’t hesitate to contact us at (614) 888-4050.