Pet Poisoning Prevention

Poisoning cases are some of the most common reasons for visits to veterinary emergency clinics. Nearly every day, we field a call or see a patient that has eaten something they shouldn’t and must then receive life-saving treatment.Pet Poisons

It’s even worse when you realize that most of these incidents are completely preventable. It doesn’t have to be like this. Most of the time owners don’t even realize that their homes contain so many toxic items. Some of the most toxic items include:

Household cleaners, bleach, Lysol and other corrosives… why? 

Because household cleaners can cause very serious “chemical burns”.  Most often, these chemicals are ingested or licked, causing a caustic or corrosive burn usually affecting the tongue and esophagus. 

Aspirin…why?

Aspirin interferes with platelets, which are responsible for helping the blood to clot.  Aspirin toxicity can lead to gastrointestinal problems, respiratory difficulties, neurological problems, bleeding disorders and kidney failure.

Antifreeze…why?

Ethylene glycol (antifreeze) is extremely toxic for pets and has potentially lethal effects…even a small dose can be lethal within a few hours of ingestion.  

Amphetamines…why?

If left untreated, amphetamine toxicity can be fatal in your pet.  These classification of drugs affect your pet’s nervous system and brain.  Toxic signs are typically visible within 1-2 hours.

While this list is not exhaustive, it does cover some of the more common substances that are particularly harmful to your pet.  If you are ever in doubt about your pet’s exposure to these and other potentially harmful products, don’t hesitate to contact us at (614) 888-4050.

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: